The recent article on the lean blog at Gemba penta rai has highlighted that lean as a philosophy seems to be creating some ground for itself in the high echelons of the Chinese political administration. The articoe cqn be found here… http://www.gembapantarei.com/2013/01/lean_leader_arrives_at_the_top_of_china.html I will post more on the topic later.
The current economic crisis has brought a downturn in almost every industry the world over. First the USA and its banking companies came across the subprime lending crisis leading to the fall of some leading financial institutions that had gone deep into the lending space without taking all the necessary precautions and becoming too liberal to lure the customers from the competitors. Then came the fall of an insurance giant. This had repercussions throughout the banking industry across Europe and Asia too. This was also felt by the banking industry in India.
A simultaneous sms and online campaign by some rogue stock brokers in India spread rumors bout the fall of the largest private sector Indian bank. It was advertised by the brokers that ICICI was on the verge of becoming bankrupt due to exposure to the bad loans in the US although the situation was not so grim in reality as ICICI had limited exposure to the subprime lending that lead the US banking industry to the downfall. Even as the exposure to ICICI was bigger than SBI, it was not on the verge of becoming bankrupt. ICICI experienced huge customer unrest due to this and had to take some special PR measures to prevent any casualty. The biggest private bank of the country was threatened for its existence due to such a small issue of SMS campaign by some rogues. Continue reading “Get LEAN during the Mean economic crisis”
India is going the Lean Way. Yes, that is true. The Indian government had in the recent past initiated the Industrial Development program that included multiple initiatives for the development of the Indian Manufacturing Industry. The government organizations and ministries have initiated many programs for the uplifting of the Indian Small, Medium and Small Enterprises (MSME). Some of these programs focus on inculcating best manufacturing procedures in the industry in terms of better technology and better efficiency machines while some other focus areas are – world class manufacturing & management principles.
One of these programs will focus on inculcating among the MSME some of the practices of the Toyota Production System. The Toyota Production System has many tools / ways to manage their daily operations like inventory management and production planning and control etc. Any process that a production company needs to take care of are also common place in Toyota too. Hence TPS can be used for any type of industry as this system has been tried and tested by Toyota successfully for so many years now that Toyota is now the number one in its field – automobile. The Toyota Production System is also termed as Lean Management / Manufacturing by some quarters of the industrial analysts.
This term ‘Lean Management’ was coined after a study conducted by the MIT research team as it found out that the TPS was based on the basic principle of taking maximum output by wasting the minimum resources. So, Lean Management basically means reducing waste from all the walks of work involved in the work place.
Given the records of the Indian Manufacturing Industry, their resource utilization has always been among the lowest worldwide. This is the primary reason for the Indian Manufacturing Industry being left behind the competition in many sectors although the quality of products are at par with others in many cases. What the industry lags behind is – in the untimely delivery and costly products compared to other competitor countries like China and others. So, only to equip the Indian MSME with the latest technological knowhow was not sufficient for making the country’s manufacturing industry competitive against the rivals who have been following the best management and manufacturing principles invented and practices worldwide. What was needed was to inculcate among the indigenous manufacturers the practices of management followed by the top tier manufacturing companies in the manufacturing business. What can be the best example in the manufacturing business than the Japanese manufacturers who are not only technologically advanced than their world wide competitors but also follow the best management principles to maintain their competitive advantage on all fronts of productivity, effectiveness and quality.
Hence the practice of ‘Lean Management’ has been introduced as a field of management where the Indian government departments responsible for development of industry in the country want to emphasize upon. So, the MSME Development Institute, Mumbai has taken up the initiative to start the ‘Lean Leader Training Program’. The Small, Micro and Medium enterprises from around Mumbai were invited for the program after payment of a minimal fee of INR 10,000 for a candidate.
Lean Manufacturing is a manufacturing system and philosophy that was originally developed by Toyota and is now used by many manufacturers throughout the world. At Toyota the system is referred to as the Toyota Production System very well described in the world famous New York Times best seller – ‘The Toyota Way’.
The term Lean is very apt because in Lean Manufacturing the emphasis is to cut out the “fat” or waste in the manufacturing process. Waste is defined as anything that does not add value to the customer. It could also be defined as anything the customer is unwilling to pay for.
Lean is not a tool, it is a way of doing anything. It doesn’t only applies to manufacturing, but can be a made a way to live life by. So, by this post I would try to spread some knowledge about Lean. So, what better than a way to spread the knowledge than giving out a list of best available resources with a little description.
So, here are the ‘TOP LEAN Resources on the WEB’
- Lean Blog – This is the Lean Blog. The name itself is self explanatory. This blog is totally dedicated to the concept of lean. Spreading the knowledge of lean with the utmost seriousness and live real life simple examples is their way to let you know the message. This is just fantastic.
- Learn Lean Blog – Now this is what is aimed directly at teaching the concepts of Lean to those who are virgins in the case of lean and to those who are novices. It has some really good explanations for the concepts dealt with. The real life Case studies from various different industries is the point of attraction that you should consider visiting this site. So, if you want to learn from practical experience of someone else, then here is the place to go.
- BB Basics Llc – This is a Lean consultant’s blog that will lead you on the well trodden path to success in lean by sharing with you the experiences of the consultant himself. Although the primary aim of the blog is to make people aware of the fact that the person is a consultant, he gives out some interesting suggestions again with his own examples of failure and success.
- Lean Manufacturing Secrets – Now this is what I was searching for the last so many days but got only yesterday after googling ‘Lean Manufacturing Best Practices’. Here is the best place to find some places and ways to implement in your own company / factory. It gives some examples like – ‘Going One piece Flow’ and ‘The theory of Constraints and Lean Manufacturing’.
- Lean Enterprises Blog – The latest and the most refreshing Lean Blog on the blogging circuit is the Lean Enterprises Blog by Rahul Rai, Lean Faculty Fellow in the Department of Mechanical Engineering at California State University at Fresno. He has put up some interesting interpretations of the same old Lean concepts by putting up some interesting illustrations, one being the structure of the DNA as a representation of a ladder for continuous improvement – Kaizen.
So, all you have got to do if you want to know about Lean is that just go and visit one of these blogs and fetch all the pool of free and generous knowledge poured in by these Lean Leaders.
Through this post i am going to describe and define what Tuubol is conceived to be and what all is going to come in Tuubol’s posts.
First of all, what does TuuBol mean.Tuubol is comprised of two Hindi Words ‘Tuu’ and ‘Bol’. ‘Tuu’ means ‘You’ and ‘Bol’ means ‘Say/speak’. First of all, TuuBol means ‘You Say’ or ‘Your Say’. So, it is gonna be a blog where in I and my team is going to discuss with the readers some things that matter to us in various fields. It will have daily happenings and most debated topics etc. But Tuubol can only be a success if it is you who give your feedback on all the posts.
The various fields that will be covered in Tuubol: –
- Fashion Technology :- Me being a Fashion Technocrat of the First Batch of B.Tech (Bachelor of Technology – Apparel Production) from NIFT, New Delhi, am very passionate about the subject and keep myself current with the current trends in the field of fashion technology. I would for sure like to share what ever I find interesting and worthy of sharing with my knowledgeable readers.
- Web Design and Web Development: – I am a freelance web designer and love the work from the core my heart. The most amazing thing about the work is that it keeps changing with time and you need to keep yourself updated with the current trends in the web space. I am a regular visitor of some websites that enhance my knowledge of the field and would like my readers to benefit from this. I with this field would like to share what is latest in the field of web design and what are the current and latest developments in the sphere of web applications.
- Lean & Toyota Production System:- I am from the first batch of the Lean Leaders certified by the MSMEDI(Micro Small and Medium Enterprises Development Institute, Mumbai). I had the passion for the Toyota Manufacturing System from the time I had been first introduced to the concept. But after doing the course the passion got stronger and the belief became unshakable. So I would like to spread the great TPS(Toyota Production System) among my countrymen and the world as a whole because I think this is the only Production Management System that can save the world from the current and future crises.
- Biotechnology and Pharma Quality Control:- As we know in this era “knowledge is power” Biotechnology has immense potential for development and ease of human life with advancements in health, stem cell research, in-vitro fertilization, cloning, tissue engineering, genetic engineering, improvement of hybrid and genetically improved varieties of animals and crops, drug development, disease eradication by vaccine development and many more.
- Book Reviews:- We are also going to write reviews of the books that we read. This is not only going to cover a simple review of the book, but an analysis of the good and bad points of the book, things that are worthy of learning from the book and things that are just fillers.
- Miscellaneous:- This section will contain topics that interest us in general and are not related to any of the above topics.
Now it is going to be a full fledged blog covering these topics. So, you all got to visit this blog regularly.